The true spirit of Skals Efterskole
The true spirit can be found in our choice of collective sessions. We aim to provide skills required for lifelong learning and active citizenship
Through the development of these skills we aim for what N.F.S. Grundtvig called "enlightenment for life". All students share these sessions. They add to the feeling of community and the mutual sense of Skals Efterskole spirit.
- Common sessions include two lessons of gymnastics/physical education every week. Compulsory gymnastic training leads to a show (among others) in April in Gigantium in Aalborg. This is an annual event where hundreds of Efterskole students get together to show off their gymnastics program.
- Storytelling starts off the days of Tuesday and Thursday mornings when a teacher will tell a tale or an anecdote for 30 minutes.
- We watch the morning news from BBC, CNN, Danish broadcasting stations or Al Jazeera, which keeps us updated on world events.
- School meetings are held daily before lunch time in the auditorium. Messages are shared and you can keep up with the many activities going on.
- Friday singing session ends the school week on a happy note. No matter if you will be spending the weekend at the school or going away, you can´t help feeling good after sharing a lesson of singing with your friends. The songs are either chosen from the Danish songbook, from English favorites, or other popular songs.
Remember it's hard to be sad when you're singing!