Curriculum at Skals Efterskole
IGCSE at “Skals Efterskole”
Almost all subjects (i.e., English, maths, physics, second foreign language, economics, and global perspectives) are taught within the frame of the International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE). This is except for Danish, which is of course taught based on the Danish national curriculum.
If your Danish skills do not allow you to follow these lessons together with the majority of your classmates, you will study Danish as a second language instead. Here, you will learn basic communication skills, with emphasis on everyday conversation, as well as getting to know more about the culture of your new home country. As such, if you don’t attend the ordinary Danish classes, it is mandatory that you follow the classes in Danish as a second language instead.
Some of our IGCSE students go on to do the IB (International Baccalaureate) or the British A-levels when they finish their year with us. The IB in Denmark usually takes three years. However, if a student works hard and graduates with A's and B's they can skip the first year, which is the pre-IB.
10 SIP, Skals International Project-Class
SIP follows its own curriculum and is considered as a transition year, as the students take no national examination. We have tried to create a class that will suit the future educational system and approach to organizing projects in companies.
SIP could be something for you, if you are interested in improving your skills in working on projects together with other students, and you should see yourself as someone who would like to become a world citizen.
SIP is only for 10th grade students and could be described as a gap year between 9th grade and A-level.
Vision for Skals International Project-Class
- We want to educate entrepreneurs who are able to present in a targeted and creative manner
- We enable our students in SIP, on the basis of a two week course at Media College Denmark, to use videoproduction as a tool when presenting their projects
- We help our SIP students to make a difference for others
- We run all projects in English
Mission for Skals International Project-Class
- You will learn how to be creative without losing focus on your goals
- You become independent, responsible, and you will be ready to work in a manner that suits the way one studies at university or works in a modern company
- You want to make a social, local and global difference
- You get a new perspective on your own role in the world through the work you do in projects at the school
- You will go on a 2-week field trip abroad